Thursday, February 09, 2006

Too Much Money/Not Enough Sense

The latest news on the Gretsky/Jones scandal is not looking good for the former hockey great. Looks like he knew what was going on after all. Initially he denied any involvement, but it seems Gretsky has now come clean. The money in involved in the case is no small change.

From the Star-Ledger of Newark

According to The Star-Ledger of Newark, citing unidentified law enforcement sources, first reported of a wiretap involving Gretzky in Thursday's newspapers. The newspaper also reported that Jones bet $500,000 during the investigation, including $75,000 on the Super Bowl. "My love for her (Jones) is deeper than anything. The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved. Am I concerned for both of them? Sure there's concern from me. I'm more worried about them than me. I'm like you guys, I'm trying to figure it all out," Gretzky said Tuesday. Isn't it annoying that people like this have their hands on that kind of money? I mean, didn't someone at some point think, 'you know, we're rich, why risk everything for a measly 500 grand. So we don't get the matching Bently's this year. We'll survive.'

I guess athletic ability is not synonymous with wisdom.

No comments: